Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's important and what is not

These days I've been wondering about what is important, and what is not. In other words, what makes something important to our eyes and what makes less sense. The environment around is forcing me to examine those thoughts every single day. No matter what I am I thinking, there is always something in this city to remind me that I have to think in an alternative way. No matter where I am (in school, on the street walking around with my friends) there is something to confirm that things are not as well as they should be. I don't know from which country you're reading this post, dear reader, but maybe you feel the same way.

The faces around,the newspapers and the media (that are simply trying to overload our minds with useless information) the basic, everyday conversations that are gradually following the same path of topics: the bad situation of this country and the future. People are moving abroad (or they have already done it) and many of them are thinking about it. I guess it needs nerves to deal with the future. And walls made out of stone to surround you with patience. Athens needs to fight all that misery, for sure.

An everyday scene


In this environment, you can't help wondering: what is important if everything seems so fragile around? Maybe all of those things that last, independently from a material basis.Yeah, right. That's a simple thought to make. But how many of us are actually doing that?

Health, quality of life, love, people, creativity, freedom, being touched by art, interest in self-improvement and self-knowledge, dreaming and last but not least, hoping.

(Now that reminds me of the truly wonderful soundtrack "The heart asks pleasure first" from the movie "The piano")

I didn't write the word happiness itself because to me, happiness is only in moments. In small moments. That yes, they can exist everyday, but only if we want. Can we find reasons to want that, when everyone around is pushing us to the opposite direction? Yes, if we remind to ourselves, what's important long-term and what is not.

So, what's important to you? When was the last time you actually did what's important to you and not to the others? Or the opposite: when was the last time you didn't ask from anyone to fulfill or even find that importance for you?

:)


2 comments:

παναγιώτα said...

Someway you' ve read my mind menina!
It is true, we have to look for what's important and what's not in our lives. For us. For ourselves. But it's not always that easy... And I was wondering, today I was wondering, until when will this be enough?
Every time I get mad, confused, disappointed, sad with this city, with the society, with beople, with the University, with life itself, I try to calm down. I try to look at the sky, to dream, to think of something beautiful, of something that makes me smile.
You' re right, there are things that make us smile independently of where we are, of what's around us, of what we do. But this way we tend to create a whole new world around us, to build "walls made out of stone to surround us with patience" as you say. And that's quite the easy part. The most difficult is to bring this world to life. To reality.

(p.s. I watched "The piano" yesterday at night - have you been stalking me my dear friend??? haha kisses)

Μαρία said...

Oh! Senhora papoila! I'm so glad you liked this. We both know very well what it feels like to live here and deal with all the misery.We will resist. ;) I love the piano piece as well.

Beijocas menina xxx